Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A skeery warning about acorns!

I wanted to take a moment to warn all my furiends about a hazard that Momma and I never even thought of. This time of year, there are all sorts of things falling off trees, including stuff dogs like to eat. Like acorns! Acorns aren't poisonous to dogs, so Momma never thought anything of it if Cinderella or I munched on one during our walks.

But this weekend, an LBR alum sadly lost her life because of a single acorn! Miss Abbi was playing at the dog park and decided to snack on some acorns, but one of them got lodged in her trachea. Her momma took her to the vet as soon as she started coughing, but they couldn't help her and she sadly passed away.


Godspeed, sweet Abbi. We'll miss you so much! Please, my furiends, remember not to snack on acorns. The consequences could be deadly. :(

15 comments:

stellaroselong said...

OMP I never thought about the dangers of acorns and choking! We are so very very sorry about your friend sweet abbi, I bet her parents feel just horrible! Sending you a big hug today!
stella rose

GOOSE said...

Oh no! I am so sorry about your friend. Sending prayers to her family.
Blessings,
Goose

Amber DaWeenie said...

So sorry to hear about sweet Abbi. This is so tragic. We had a tree in the backyard once that dropped acorns and Mom was always worried about us eating one. So Dad just cut down the tree. Any kind of rock-like nut can be deadly to us pups.

Madi and Mom said...

Oh my we are so sorry to read about Abbi...who would think about such an accident. Run Free sweet Abbi.

Mo asked me to tell you the Yeowww!Catnip sardine has a website on the tag...www.duckyworld.com
Hugs Madi your BFFF

Hound Girl said...

Hi we are new to your blog! I just wanted to say im very sorry for your friend Abbi - make she rest in peace and we will keep her family in our thoughts.

The Websters said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That is so so sad. I hate this story.

Nora

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

That's so sad. Our yard is full of acorns. Never really thought about choking on acorns. Thanks for the heads up.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

OMD.... THAT is totally SAD. I can certainly understand that no one would EVER see something like THAT happening. Just a wild fluke.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh my goodness how scary and so so sad. Glad we don't have those things by us
Benny & Lily

♥♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥♥ said...

That is so sad, Casey, and yet it can happen so easily. Good PSA for all pet owners.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

houndstooth said...

Mom watches us like a hawk to be sure we leave the acorns alone. We really don't care about them, but they're good for distracting squirrels with!

Bunny

Cotton said...

So sorry to hear this, fortunately, they don't have acorns where I live
Cotton

Declan said...

That's very very sad mate. Deccy x

The Army of Four said...

That is so sad! And SCARY! And , wow, do we appreciate the warning. We are both notorious for trying to snarf stuff up while we're out on walks.
Luv,
Dave

garthriley said...

I'm so sorry to hear that and thank you for the warning. I like to crunch on acorns but my momma never thought there was a danger. She will definitely keep me from doing it in the future.