Friday, October 22, 2010

We Hate Mange Society

I've decided that we LBR boxers are going to form the We Hate Mange Society. Because -- speaking from experience -- mange is awful! It makes you itchy and lose all your beautiful fur, and if it gets really bad, you can even end up like this:




This poor little girl is only 3-4 months old. I don't know how you can even get that bad in only 4 months! She was rescued by another group and is going to get lots better now. But it got me starting to think about all the LBR dogs that have had to go through this.

This is Hopper, pre-fur:


And Hopper looking gorgeous again!


Here's Miss Deidre, who came to us in very bad shape:


And her beautiful self once she got some hair like a proper boxer needs!

And like I said, I'm speaking from experience! Can you believe that this pathetic guy is actually me?? That's me at about 8 months old, just before my wonderful LBR foster home saved my life:
And this handsome devil is me now! It was taken last year, about a year and a half after I was rescued.
Mange is treatable and not that hard to handle if it's caught early! But if it goes on for long enough, poor dogs like us can get really really sick. A boxer is meant to have fur! Be sure to take care of your fur-buddies, and they'll give you licks and snuggles for years to come.





3 comments:

  1. Casey,
    Mom saw da furst sweet puppy on da Facebook last night and her started to cry. :( Den she said some HBO words 'bouts da peoples dat would let dis happen to da puppy. We is keepin' hers in our thoughts and prayers.

    Woofs and Licks,
    Maggie Mae

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got da mange when I was a puppy. My dumb vet didn't even catch it though. Thank goodness my Momma has da n-too-itchin and she knew something was up! I am so glad I didn't end up like dat first puppy. OMD! Dat looks so itchy!

    Wiggles and Licks,
    Calhoun

    ReplyDelete